This is my connection to family and friends,wherever they are.This includes photographs,anecdotes and anything of interest.Take care!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Bilingual

Die taal maak my mal.Ek is baie lief vir lees..en gisteraand sit ek met niks.Ek kyk toe op my boekrak vir iets te lees voer ek bed toe gaan.Die "pickings" was min en die eennigste boek wat daar sit is "Die Verdwaalde land" deur Abraham Phillips. Ek het die` boek gedoen jare "before" in "college".Op die laaste "trip" Kaap toe, het ek dit in die "luggage" gesit,omdat ek wil probeer.Dit gaan bitter swaar vir my "because" ek praat min die taal hier.Jislaaik!swaar..maar ek probeer.My beste vriend het vir my a Huisgenoot gestuur en ek het dit probeer lees,van eerste blad, na die laaste..oor en oor..toe gee ek die "magazine" vir my Kaapse vriendin hier.
My Afrikaans is lekker vrot...maar dit sal weer terug kom.

Translation: The language makes me mad.I love to read..and lastnight I sat with nothing. I looked at my bookcase for something to read before going to bed.The pickings were little and the only book that was there was "The lost land"(ha ha,I know this is wrong) by Abraham Phillips. I did this book years ago at college.On my last trip to the Cape,I put this is my luggage,because I want to try. It was very difficult for me because I speak little the language here.Jislaaik!(no translation) difficult..but I try. My best friend sent me a Huisgenoot(magazine) and I tried to read,from the first page, to the last..over and over..then I gave it to my Capetonian friend here.My Afrikaans is very bad..but it will come back.

So much for me teaching English.I translated in a direct way.Some of my friends back home will laugh.Being here for so long, I have little contact with Afrikaans.However, the fact that I can speak it with another South African is great..but often we can't remember what a word is in English.Sad,sad..I'm reading this book, but it's frustrating ,especially longer words.It might end up being thrown against the wall-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home